Leading academic institutions and organisations together with the Society and Urban Form Research Lab of the University of Cyprus to address urban challenges and support sustainable urban development.
The University of Cyprus (UCY) announced the official launch of the programme Twinning towards Research Excellence in Evidence-Based Urban Planning and Design with the acronym TWIN2EXPAND, an ambitious research initiative that aims to strengthen the research excellence of the University of Cyprus in the field of Urban Planning and Design (EBDP).
The TWIN2EXPAND project, with a total budget of €1.5 million funded by the European Union’s Horizon Europe programme “Widening Participation and Strengthening the ERA”, brings together a consortium of leading European research institutions: University College London (UCL), Polytechnic University of Turin, Chalmers University of Technology and one pioneering SME practicing EBDP, Space Syntax Limited. The project aims to stimulate research excellence and innovation capacity in the field of EBDP at the University of Cyprus and to promote interdisciplinary research and networking in the field of EBDP.
As pointed out by Dr. Nadia Charalambous, Director of the Society and Urban Form (SURF) Research Lab and coordinator of the TWIN2EXPAND project, “the project will support the development of sustainable urban governance ecosystems capable of delivering effective solutions through the expertise and experience of stakeholders and citizen participation in the development of scientific knowledge”.
The project will have a significant impact on the wider scientific community, on specific urban and urban planning agencies and on society in general, for the collective understanding and response to urban challenges, as well as the appreciation and exploitation of the opportunities offered by cities and urban communities.
TWIN2EXPAND will last three years and includes educational activities, staff exchanges between the project implementing agencies, internships and intensive summer workshops, with the aim of strengthening the scientific and research capacity of the staff of the University of Cyprus and the researchers of the SURF laboratory. The TWIN2EXPAND consortium is expected to engage and discuss with local stakeholders in Cyprus, the benefits of scientific evidence in urban and urban planning practice.
The TWIN2EXPAND project is funded by the European Union  and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) under the UK government’s Horizon Europe funding guarantee [10052856, 10050784].
For more information about the TWIN2EXPAND project, visit the project website at www.twin2expand.eu
Contact: Natia Charalambous, Project Coordinator, email@example.com , 22892965
Note to editors:
- TWIN2EXPAND is funded by the European Union  and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) under the UK Government’s Horizon Europe funding guarantee [10052856, 10050784].
- The views and opinions expressed are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the European Union or the European Research Executive Agency (REA). The European Union and REA cannot be held responsible for the views expressed.
- The University of Cyprus is the coordinator of the TWIN2EXPAND project.
- The project partners are University College London (UCL), Polytechnic University of Turin, Chalmers University of Technology and Space Syntax Limited.
- The project will run for three years from January 2023.
- The total budget of the project is 1,500,000 Euros.
Source: University of Cyprus I Latest News (https://bit.ly/3xk4A25)